The primary duty of a the Group Engineer is to ensure the smooth daily operation and guest appeal of the hotel. The overall condition of the Group's properties is the No. 1 priority for this position. This includes building and all furniture, fixtures, utilities, systems and laundry. This position is responsible for the short and long term planning and day-to-day operations of the engineering division. The position also recommends the department's budget and capital expenditures and manages expenses within approved budget constraints.
- Manage the maintenance staff and ensure that hotel facilities and systems operate properly, including refrigeration, heating, plumbing, water treatment, preventive maintenance, hotel rooms, A/H units, ice machines, pools, lighting, kitchen equipment, emergency generators, water softeners, switch rooms, laundry, roof exhausts, electrical substations, etc.
- Responsible for coordinating with contractors on renovations, remodels and new construction as well as acting as Project Manager for all new investment, builds and refurbishment
- Ensure projects are completed according to specifications and on time by studying work schedules and estimating worker-hour requirements for completion. Establish or adjust work procedures to meet production schedules.
- Develop, implement and manage emergency programs for the operation and maintenance of all equipment and physical structures and landscaping in compliance with corporate/franchise standards, local, state and national codes and regulations to protect the asset, guests and employees, to ensure optimum operations, minimize expenses and maximize customer satisfaction.
- Work closely with Housekeeper and Front Desk Manager to ensure coordination of activities. May confer with other supervisors to coordinate activities of individual departments.
- Aid and instruct craftsmen in scheduling work, ordering material and completing assignments by a specified date. May estimate, requisition, and inspect materials.
- Meets with architects to discuss blueprints, contacts contractors to submit bids for new construction, and meets with construction supervisors to discuss different phases of work.
- Perform work within departmental expense plans.
- Analyze and resolve work problems, or assist workers in solving problems. Initiate or suggest plans to motivate workers. Recommend or initiate personnel actions, such as training, promotions, transfers, discharges, and disciplinary measures. Reward employees who meet/exceed expectations. Confer with workers' representatives.
- Interprets specifications, job orders, and company policies to workers and enforces safety regulations.
- Establishes or adjusts work procedures to meet production schedules, recommends measures to improve production.
- Engineering Degree required as well as a minimum of 5 years post qualification experience in any branch of engineering, operation and/or maintenance service areas.
- Experience in management of contractor and subcontractors to ensure quality work is performed for minimal cost.
- At least a minimum 3 years experience in project management.
- International experience particularly in project management will be a distinct advantage.
- Prior supervisory experience is required
- Candidates might consider voluntary certifications, such as those issued by the International Maintenance Institute (IMI) and/or Project Management Certification, in order to increase job opportunities.
- Advanced knowledge of building management/engineering.
- Considerable working knowledge of project management
- Skill to integrate and communicate information.
- Ability to analyze activities and/or information involving some original data manipulation or interpretation to arrive at logical conclusions.
- Management skills
- Ability to provide information and associated services to hotel management and guests.
- Knowledge in energy & environment conservation techniques as well as experience in implementation of various refurbishment and retrofitting projects will be an added advantage.